Thursday, December 24, 2009

Mill Hill Finish

A year or so ago my mother gave me two Mill Hill ornament kits. I finally opened one and finished it. Here it is, Mill Hill's French Horn: It was my first attempt at perforated paper. I wasn't quite sure how much tension to use so in the gold stitches, which were the first I put in, are a bit looser than they probably should have been, but once surrounded by beads, I don't think you can really tell. I'm not sure if this was my imagination but the combination of working with the thread and the paper really dried out my hands.

Crapting Moments: Not true crapting as it isn't evident in the finished product but threading the beading needle was a bear. I think it was the cheap thread (at least it seemed cheap). I could see the hole well enough (though it was tiny) but I really struggled to get the thread to actually go through it. It would split all the time. I think one threading session took about 20 minutes. Due to my hatred of threading, I strung the red beads with the same green thread I was using for the green beads. I was not going to thread anymore needles than necesary, as a result if you examine the ornament carefully, you can probably see the green thread on the side of the red bead, but I DON'T CARE!

Cutting the shape out was also a bit of a challenge. I'm scissors challenged to begin with so making sure I wasn't cutting into any of the stitching was difficult. There was a near disaster at the very top where I think I did cut away the hole for one stitch, but I think it's going to stay in place. I can't decide if I'm going to back it or not. I probably will, just not right now.

Side note: I did finish all my Christmas tree panels, I just haven't had time to write about them. I hope to in the new year, as well as actually put it all together.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment